It constantly amazes me how many people underestimate the importance of a personal brand, with many thinking the ‘concept’ is not relevant to them.
Does this sound like you?
Let me try to convert your thinking. Your personal brand is a combination of your personality, attitude, values, skills, experience, reputation and even your appearance. Essentially, it is what people think when they hear your name – what you’re known for and how people experience you.
The concept has been around for a while however it really took off when Tom Peters published an article almost 20 years titled “The Brand Called You”. In Tom’s view (which in case you missed it, I am on the bandwagon and support 100%) is everyone has a brand, not just large companies with marketing budgets to match.
"Regardless of age, regardless of position, regardless of the business we happen to be in, all of us need to understand the importance of branding. We are CEOs of our own companies: Me Inc. To be in business today, our most important job is to be head marketer for the brand called You." – Tom Peters
But you might be still wondering, what are the benefits of having a clearly understood personal brand…
Recently I came across this summary and couldn't put it better myself, so have provided the reference below :
1. Enhances your self-awareness - You will have a better self-understanding about what makes you unique, valuable, and powerful. It helps optimize and flaunt your strengths. By better understanding who you are, you can articulate how you do it – particularly useful skill when interviewing for jobs.
2. Helps you clarify and reach your goals - Requires you to be crystal clear on what you want to achieve and helps you set goals to get there.
3. Helps you create visibility and presence - Once you know what is unique and compelling about you or your company, you can use that information to create visibility and presence to those people who will help you achieve your goals.
4. Helps you differentiate yourself - You can more easily differentiate yourself from everyone else who has your job title or who says they are in the same business as you.
5. Offers more control and power - Puts you in control of your business, the clients you have, the projects you work on, and how you want to deliver services.
6. Creates wealth - Strong brands charge a premium for their products and services, and differentiated job seekers who know their value can command higher salaries.
7. Offers resilience - Strong brands are successful despite challenges and downturns in the economy because they stand for something unique and are differentiated.
So hopefully I have convinced you to be the boss of your career, and head marketer of Me Inc. you should have a clear, consistent message about who you are and what you have to offer. No matter where you are at in your career, regularly checking in to understand your personal brand is vital. A strong and authentic personal brand will ensure a lasting experience for those you encounter, set you apart from others and ensure you are always putting your best foot forward.
In the Career Inside Track ‘Competitive Edge Package’ is a very simple, practical and quick exercise will help you understand and articulate “you”. You have control of Me Inc. You are the boss of your career – take the time and decide how you would like people to think of you and work on being that person.
Keep your personal brand fresh – rethink it annually and revitalise it every now and again. After all, isn't that the job of head marketer of Me Inc.?
I encourage you to read my testimonials on www.careerinsidetrack.com to see how I have practically helped others discover the height of their strengths, overcome self-doubt and build a career that they are passionate about. Call me today to start the journey of better understanding your personal brand so you can package it up and sell it!